Time for an update . . . a 22 February (Defender’s Day eve) decree from Russia’s Supreme Glavk promoted a raft of officers, mostly from O-6 to general-major or rear-admiral.
One exception is Defense Minister Sergey Shoygu’s long-time military assistant, Yuriy Sadovenko, who became a three-star general-colonel. He came with Shoygu from MChS. He’s a deputy defense minister and director of Shoygu’s apparat. That is, chief of Shoygu’s personal staff and organizational elements reporting directly to the defense minister.
Some significant personnel were elevated, including chiefs or commanders of:
- the Genshtab’s CCP;
- a regional nuclear weapons storage facility;
- the MOD’s Main Missile-Artillery Directorate;
- an airborne division;
- Pacific Fleet submarine forces;
- a submarine division;
- a surface ship division;
- Novorossiysk Naval Base;
- the 201st Military Base in Tajikistan;
- two VKO brigades.
This iteration should be a little easier to read in Google.
It appears the best way to get the latest promotion list out is now Google Docs. This conclusion follows a number of frustrating gyrations.
These promotions came in President Putin’s decree signed out 12 December 2013 and published in Krasnaya zvezda.
Mil.ru reported today on President Putin’s 11 October ukaz transferring administrative and operational control of air assault brigades in Ussuriysk, Ulan-Ude, and Kamyshin from Eastern and Southern MD Commanders to General-Colonel Vladimir Shamanov and the VDV.
The MOD website says the decree is No. 776; it doesn’t appear on Kremlin.ru yet, but may later.
Mil.ru reported VDV commissions are already surveying the condition of weapons, equipment, and facilities in the three brigades, and converting their training program to match that of the VDV.
Shamanov announced that this change, and others, were pending back in early August.
Posted in Force Structure, Ground Troops, Shoygu's Reforms, VDV
Tagged Decree, DShBr, ДШБр, Kamyshin, Ukaz, Ulan-Ude, Ussuriysk, Vladimir Putin, Vladimir Shamanov
Russian has an untranslatable word, звездопад, invariably used in announcing high-level military promotions. It might be best translated as meteor shower. But when it comes to generals, admirals, and O-6s adding metal to their shoulderboards, star shower sounds better.
Late Thursday, President Putin provided a star shower via ukaz, and here are the results:
- RVSN Commander Sergey Viktorovich Karakayev and VVKO Commander Oleg Nikolayevich Ostapenko become General-Colonel (three stars).
- New Navy CINC Viktor Viktorovich Chirkov becomes Admiral (three stars).
- New Air Forces CINC Viktor Nikolayevich Bondarev becomes General-Lieutenant (two stars).
Looks like maybe the new high command team is locked into place for some time to come.
The other promotions:
- Commander of the 9th VKO Brigade Vladimir Aleksandrovich Korytkov and Chief of PVO Troops and Aviation for the Central MD Yevgeniy Nikolayevich Tuchkov become General-Major (one star).
- A Northern Fleet division commander Vladimir Mikhaylovich Vorobyev, Chief of Staff of the Northern Fleet’s Kola Mixed Forces Flotilla Vadim Franstevich Kulit, and White Sea Naval Base Commander Viktor Nikolayevich Liina become Rear-Admiral (one star).
RIA Novosti noted yesterday the new 58th Army Commander is General-Major Andrey Gurulev. Gurulev was previously its chief of staff. His boss, General-Major Andrey Kartapolov also moved up to be Deputy Commander, Southern MD.
Krasnaya zvezda published a personnel decree from January 20 that somehow managed to slip past. It included the following changes.
Relieve of duty:
- Colonel Oleg Viktorovich Averin, Chief, Missile-Artillery Armament Service, Western MD.
- Colonel Vyacheslav Nikolayevich Gurov, Commander, 6th Independent Tank Brigade, 20th Army.
- Lieutenant Colonel Mikhail Vladimirovich Yerofeyev, Chief, Missile-Artillery Armament Service, Western MD.
- Colonel Andrey Vladimirovich Lipikhin, Commander, 6th Air Defense Brigade.
- Colonel Vladimir Pavlovich Omelyanovich, Commander, 6th Independent Tank Brigade, 20th Army.
- General-Lieutenant Khamit Iskarovich Kamalov.
President Medvedev’s military personnel decree from December 22.
Recall that Colonel Yartsev is being investigated for “taxing” the premium pay his pilots were receiving.
- Colonel Dmitriy Vilorovich Gorbatenko, Chief, Troop Training Directorate, Western MD.
- Captain 1st Rank Oleg Vladimirovich Zhuravlev, Commander, Leningrad Naval Base, Baltic Fleet.
- Colonel of Medical Service Aleksey Eduardovich Nikitin, Chief, 2nd Directorate, Deputy Chief, Main Military-Medical Directorate, RF Defense Ministry.
- Colonel Nikolay Nikolayevich Yartsev, Chief, Air Forces Training-Scientific Center “Air Forces Academy Named for Professor N. Ye. Zhukovskiy and Yu. A. Gagarin” Branch (Syzran, Samara Oblast).
Relieve and dismiss:
- Vice-Admiral Sergey Ivanovich Menyaylo, Deputy Commander, Black Sea Fleet.
- General-Major Bagir Yusif ogly Fatullayev.
President Medvedev’s December 8 decree . . . some appointments in VVKO.
- Colonel Viktor Musavirovich Afzalov, Commander, 4th Air Defense Brigade, relieved as Commander, 4th Aerospace Defense Brigade.
- General-Lieutenant Valeriy Aleksandrovich Bratishchenko, Deputy Commander, Air and Missile Defense Command, relieved as Deputy Commander, Operational-Strategic Command of Aerospace Defense.
- Colonel Andrey Gennadyevich Demin, Chief of Staff, First Deputy Commander, Air and Missile Defense Command, relieved as Commander, 1st Aerospace Defense Brigade, 1st Air Forces and Air Defense Command.
- Colonel Andrey Vasilyevich Ilin, Chief, 153rd Main Space Test Center.
- Colonel Anatoliy Nikolayevich Nestechuk, Deputy Commander, Space Command.
- General-Major Aleksandr Ivanovich Afinogentov, Chief of Staff, First Deputy Commander, Long-Range Aviation.